Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jitney Dreams and Tourist Desires

The other day was a monumental day for me because I rode the Hampton Jitney. Since I was just a wee tyke coming out here to vacation with my parents I would always marvel at the large green buses cruising the streets. Then, a couple of years ago, I fell in love with the word "jitney". Don't ask me why. But I finally had the chance to ride it.



First, I took the train into Manhattan for a commercial audition for the Food Network, and afterward booked myself a reservation on the Hamptons Express. My brother was very jealous too, him always being a fan from afar like myself.

However, waiting on 40th and Lexington, eagerly anticipating the arrival of the only form of public transportation I will ever enjoy, the Jit was late. Really late. Like a half hour late. And on my maiden voyage! I was upset, yes, but after I snuggled into the seat which thousands before me have rested their undoubtedly filthy legs and heads, I was happy. And I can't say I'm usually a fan of publicly used facilities. But the Jit was different. Plus, they fed me pretzels; an easy way into my heart anytime.

I'm going to borrow this line from Jerry Maguire: "Hampton JItney, you complete me". A little part of myself was completed, fulfilled. A dream of childhood reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment